Sunday, July 26, 2009

Wisdom Please...(sorry for the similar theme)

The day after my bike was stolen, I filed a report with security at my apartment complex. After completing the report, the security guard said, "Huh, that's interesting...two days ago a tenant called in reporting he had seen someone tampering with his motorcycle late at night." "Are you serious?!" I responded. "Why didn't you warn or notify tenants who have motorcycles about that?" "Well, if we notified tenants of every report we received, you'd have 20 messages per day on your door." "Well I'd rather have 20 messages on my door, than a stolen vehicle." "Yeah...well..."

I'm not just saying this because of the whole hindsight 20/20 thing, but if security notified me that people were checking out or tampering with motorcycles on the premises, I wouldn't have taken any chances with it and kept my bike garaged at a friend's house or in storage until security did something about the problem.

This is what's frustrating about the whole thing: the incident would have been prevented if security notified motorcyclists that people were checking out bikes. So who's at fault? The thieves yes, but is security also liable for it, since they knew about it? I'm struggling with the correct action to take about it all. I've considered mediation to resolve security's notifying tenants of suspicious activity, to create an awareness. An extreme consideration is having the complex pay for part of the damage. This action however would initiate a wide range of problems, which is heartache I would rather avoid. This has been my thought struggle this week. I think I'm only going to voice my frustration to the office manager in person and to the complex owner in a letter, so that possibly an incident in the future like this could be prevented.

No comments: