Sunday, December 6, 2009

This Response Needed To Be Addressed

Some time ago, Cameron, a blogger responded to my Halloween post. I have not checked my responses for a while because I have been busy with my studies. After reading his response, I was also prompted to respond. Cameron's response is the following paragraph; and my response is below his. These thoughts are very important to me. Thank you for reading.

Cameron's Response:
"I think its a bit unfair to judge someone based on a Halloween costume. To say that a person didn't receive enough love and attention as a child is a bit harsh. Assuming that the parents did not do a good job of raising him/her, and saying you can do better, is pretty self righteous. It's you're opinion and you're entitled to it, but c'mon. Really?! You saw someone's costume and thought to yourself, there is something wrong with her. First of all, its Halloween. One day a year to let loose, be or WEAR something you normally wouldn't. To assume someone does not have self respect based on what they wore once, on the one day to do it, is just plain ignorant. Its not right to judge people, especially if its based on something superficial. If one day you have a daughter, I hope that you teach her that its not how you look or how other look at you that matters. Its how she sees herself that does. And if you have a son, teach him that just because a girl dresses a certain way, it does not mean she is a certain way.I do think you are right about Jesus loving and showing them kindness. But, I also think that blogging about how she has no self respect, and how your future daughter will by wearing the appropriate Halloween costume is not the same. I'm basically saying, stop passing judgement on others before you get to know them. I could come on here and say that 2 guys talking about how they don't like seeing girls in skimpy clothing is just gay...but that would not be very fair of me, would it?"

My Response:
You bring up some interesting perspectives Cameron. I will keep my points brief throughout this response; but I will explain my reasoning so that any future misinterpretations will be avoided. Firstly, I would like to explain that my original post was not at all bashing young women for what they wear. I was not angry when I posted my reflections, instead saddened. By your tone, I am sorry that you feel so offended, I’m sure not offended. Like you said, it is just an opinion. I am keeping your response on my blog because it is something on which others, too, can reflect.
To begin, although the implication is evident, I was focused more on how I am going to raise my children and not how this young lady was raised. With respect, your conclusion and assumption that I think I can do better raising a child is inaccurate and irrelevant. Most children, when ignored or unloved, grow up pursuing other means of attention; and if looks or showing off their body bring that attention, so be it. If looks do not bring attention, then other means will. (Please keep in mind, I am not saying that unloved children are “doomed,” I have hope for anyone).
I apologize if this is too adult for some readers, but going into a coffee shop wearing a slightly see through costume without undergarments is very inappropriate, and is to what I was referring in my blog. Just because Halloween is one day out of the year to “let loose,” it doesn’t mean that all rules of social etiquette are out the door. Sure, Halloween can be fun with costumes and such, but when someone dresses like this, it steps outside of the “fun” mindset and enters into a completely different realm of communication and psychology.
I think some women have much more potential than they think they do. Some women, and by no means all, feel like they need to compensate for this with a need for attention in other areas: i.e. their looks, body, or the showing off of the two in a promiscuous manner.
As ignorant as you accuse me of being, I think most people would agree that this act would not only raise a few eye brows, but also communicate much of how this young lady thinks of herself. I agree with you, it is not right to judge people. I am not saying that she is a horrible person; I do not know her. I know her only by what she communicated through her inappropriate choice of attire. Approximately eighty percent of communication is non-verbal.
I also agree with you when you said, “…it’s not how you look or how others look at you that matters, it is how you see yourself that does.” Well put. I certainly do not base my life on what people think of me. But again, what else is a young lady who dresses like this telling others? It communicates very much; in fact too much for the purposes of this entry.
I am not here to argue; I am here to discuss. I am going to refrain from posting any words of retaliation because “come backs” do absolutely no good for my purpose here. That being said, I will simply ignore the last sentence in your prior response.

The purpose of this entry can be summed up in two sentences:
1) Some young women need to know that they are worth so much more than “just a body.”
2) And honestly, if there was one thing that I could have said to the young lady of whom I speak, it would be, “You are a person who is worth so much more than just a physical shell, and I hope that you can see and believe that someday.”

No comments: