Sunday, August 24, 2008

Half Time

Well it's official...I am taking one semester off from school. On Friday, I let my professors and fellow saxophonists know that I'll be taking the time off. Mixed responses, yes. I'm taking the time off not as an escape to an overwhelmed schedule, but to develop a closer relationship with God and work on maintaining good living habits.

God has taught me a lot these past two weeks. I've realized that "Godly living" is not only maintaining a relationship with God, but letting Him affect every aspect of my life including my responsibilities (cooking, cleaning, exercising, etc.) I've been reading Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life" and one thing that really convicted me was the following passage.

"Our time on earth and our energy, intelligence, opportunities, relationships, and resources are all gifts from God that he has entrusted to our care and management. We are stewards of whatever God gives us."

Psalms 24:1
"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it"

This might be a little extreme, but I was thinking if Jesus would visit my apartment today, would I be embarrassed to have Him over? Have I taken care of the apartment He has graciously provided for me? And what about my health? Have I taken care of the vessel that He's provided me? I know that I have much to change. I'd probably be too stressed to work on this while attending school, and has become too important for me to put off any longer. So this will be my project over the next few months, and school is taking the back burner this time around.

2 comments:

Heather Olds said...

i hear ya..
a really good book that i think you might enjoy is 'the practice of the presence of God' by brother lawrence. it can be read in one day, but you'll want to read it multiple times because it is so awesome and humbling..i mean, this guy ate, breathed, lived Jesus and talked with him all day long..it's a good read.
keep on writin' bro!

Chris Olds said...

Thanks Heather...I needed that. I'll check that book out!